Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for RepairMay 31st, 2016
Blog: On checking out cooling towers from the outside, the near featureless monoliths impress us with their size but not much else. We need to take our viewpoint inside. A complex network of heat exchanging assemblies are at work in here, with tubes and nozzles passing water while fill packs channel cooling power. In order to keep all of these meshing parts operational, we use intelligent maintenance programs and intensive cleaning practices, but defects are just a fact of life. Still, regardless of the facts of life, a prudent engineer avoids breakdowns by monitoring the system for common defects. Let’s list a few of these system-debilitating issues
There’s always a cost to be paid when water is part of a system. We offset the cost by using special seals and water-resistant materials, but water is as problematic as it is essential. Filtration systems handle mineral-laden water sources but “scaling” issues are still part of the battle. The coarse white substance clogs nozzles and deposits a crystalline residue that can hamper mechanical parts. Next on the agenda, we look at biological growths and corrosion. Microbial films, dirt, and debris all pose a health threat. Meanwhile, the water undermines mechanical function by oxidizing metal. Fortunately, strong alloys and engineering plastics deal with corrosion, but the health question requires a more potent solution. Water treatment stages and intensive sanitation programs take on this burden.
Mechanical Problems and Their Solutions
Electrical motors burn out and require replacement units. Louvers lock-up and need to be freed. An audited study of these events usually reveals a pattern. These aren’t random events, not chaotic breakdowns. Instead, a train of incidents, one after the other, is affecting the cooling towers. It’s usually the environmental half of the system causing the breakdowns. The towers tie one subsystem to the next, so, for example, when a drive shaft freezes due to a corroded component, then the motor will overheat and cause an eventual short circuit. Poor heat exchange dynamics next impacts the drift eliminators as drift carry-over exceeds design specifications.
Poor material design causes corrosion, just as substandard parts fail inside the cooling towers. System balance is lost unless redundant systems, motors and drive belts, can automatically accept the burden. Fortunately, repair and maintenance teams don’t sit idly waiting for catastrophic breakdowns. They initiate a timely response and add a scheduled element to the work by inspecting individual parts for potential problems and by keeping every square meter of the massive construct within sanitary guidelines.
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
Level 7, 91 Phillip Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
+61 02 8893 1241
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Dec 2018: Christmas opening hours and emergency contact details
- Nov 2018: We go inside cooling towers
- Oct 2018: Another Sydney building tests positive for legionnaires’ disease
- 2018: Melbourne legionnaire’s death leads to review of cooling tower regulations
- Sep 2018: Coolclean has grown and we now service other States
- July 2018: Find out how to reduce your Legionella risk and possibly save money at the same time
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne