HVAC Systems and Mould ControlSeptember 19th, 2016
Active fungal growth can cause building occupants discomfort and irritation, and can increase the risk of respiratory illness.
A variety of factors contribute to the growth of mould in institutional and commercial buildings, but one common culprit is HVAC equipment. The HVAC system can be a source of mould growth and a transportation mode for spreading mould spores throughout a building.
Although mould is not always visible, key components to check during an HVAC system assessment include:
- Coils and drain pans. Cooling coils de-humidify air and cause condensate water to drip into a drain pan and exit via a deep seal trap. Standing water accumulates if the drain pan is not properly maintained, creating an ideal habitat for microbes. Correct sloping and frequent cleaning of drain pans is essential for healthy indoor air quality (IAQ).
- Air filters. Technicians should replace filters regularly, either on the basis of pressure drop across the filter or on a scheduled basis. Technicians also should shut off fans when changing the filter to prevent contamination of the air. Filters should fit tightly in the filter housing.
Many maintenance companies attempt to kill mould using regular cleaners, however standard cleaning products will only offer disinfection. They will destroy mould and bacteria on the day, but this typically begins to grow back within four hours.
Leaving mould spores in the HVAC system can cause IAQ issues and complaints. It is therefore important to implement a pre-emptive plan to prevent mould growth in HVAC systems.
Cooling coils are one example of a component that is difficult to inspect and thoroughly clean. Coil fins can build up excessive mould growth, requiring the use of aggressive cleaners. Some cleaners, however, can cause damage to the coil fins.
Mould growth in HVAC systems is an area in which mould remediation specialist Coolclean can assist. Coolclean is a specialised applicator of the AerisGuard protection system, which safely eliminates mould and bacteria, and controls regrowth. It is also non-corrosive. The cost effective treatment is carried out once per year by trained Coolclean service technicians.
Coolclean is based in Melbourne. For more details about AerisGuard treatment, call Coolclean on 03 8765 9500.
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
Level 7, 91 Phillip Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
+61 02 8893 1241
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Dec 2018: Christmas opening hours and emergency contact details
- Nov 2018: We go inside cooling towers
- Oct 2018: Another Sydney building tests positive for legionnaires’ disease
- 2018: Melbourne legionnaire’s death leads to review of cooling tower regulations
- Sep 2018: Coolclean has grown and we now service other States
- July 2018: Find out how to reduce your Legionella risk and possibly save money at the same time
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne