Have you discovered a problem with your cooling tower? Not sure what could be wrong with it? There are a lot of cooling tower issues that go largely unnoticed, which is why Coolclean believes it is critical that cooling tower owners are properly educated.
In this blog, we explain why it’s so crucial to get your cooling tower cleaned and checked properly by professionals. A lot of people don’t bother to get their cooling tower components regularly checked and cleaned as they see it as an unnecessary added expense. However, it is also essential to understand that keeping up to date with maintenance can save you more money than you probably realise, rather than simply waiting for something to break or having a Legionnaires Disease outbreak and dealing with it then.
In fact, we have discovered that this is the norm, that most people have the if it isn’t broken, just leave it alone attitude, however, eventually this will be costing them a lot more money or damage their brand.
Now cooling towers are a very niche topic that not a lot of people are well versed in even though most of us rely on what they do, for each and every day, mostly without even knowing it. They cool the air-conditioning system in a lot of large buildings and cool process water in industrial factories.
For this reason, and to better understand this very detailed, technical space we sat down with Darren Driscoll as the owner of CoolClean, a 100% Australian owned and operated company specialising in the cleaning of cooling towers and cool rooms of commercial and industrial premises throughout Australia.
Did you know that it is now law from 2019 to clean all interior surfaces of a cooling tower system in Victoria, so why not do a full maintenance report at the same time?
Yes, it’s a legal requirement to clean the interior surfaces of all cooling towers in Victoria, so while this is being done why wouldn’t you get the company cleaning it to provide you with a comprehensive maintenance report at the same time?
The short answer to this question is that there are not many cooling tower or water treatment companies that offer a maintenance report – inspection at the same time they are cleaning all the interior cooling tower surfaces.
Coolclean do offer a comprehensive report to their clients, one that includes
– Checking each interior and exterior component, rating them as good, fair or poor.
– Checking and clearing spray systems to get the water and chemical treatment all over the fill pack which is the heat exchange medium
-Removing cleaning and inspecting the Drift eliminators, and they can advise if the are compliant, damaged or faulty at the same time
– Checking Grommets that hold the pipe and nozzles in
-Checking the fans and motors to ensure they are working correctly and alert you if they could fail
– Checking for reasons why your cooling tower may be leaking or losing water
– Taking photos of your cooling tower components and the interior surfaces to show cooling tower inspectors and auditors that it was cleaned in accordance with Victoria State Law
After Coolclean have completed the cooling tower cleaning and maintenance report, they are able to take their knowledge and recommend/diagnose what your cooling tower needs, whether it is maintenance, repairs, or services that needs your attention.
Other Reason to Maintain your Cooling Tower:
We found out that regular maintenance of cooling towers ensures health and safety, performance, durability, efficiency, and compliance. Failure to do so can be costly and extremely dangerous. Coolclean recommends routine checks to maintain the condition of your cooling tower. This will help you get the most out of your equipment while also providing a clean, safe, and compliant work environment.
Over time, nutrients, airborne dirt, and inefficient operation will cause the temperature of the cooling tower to rise and debris collect within different components of cooling towers. If not properly cleaned, these contaminants can cause blockages and corrosion, which impair the operating efficiency and can lead to significant damage and possibly failure of the system.
Darren explains that cooling towers are one of the most prolific spreaders of Legionnaires’ disease, a severe and potentially fatal illness caused by Legionella bacteria. If you are not keeping up with maintenance, it provides the right environment for breeding because it is protected from the chemicals that are used to treat it.
Darren highlighted that some cooling tower owners and operators think that the water treatment companies are responsible for cooling tower maintenance, but this is not the case. Cooling tower manufactures provided a cooling tower operation and maintenance instruction document that should be followed but this document addresses component maintenance, not water treatment, and is not relevant to state or commonwealth laws.
If cooling tower maintenance is not carried out correctly and there is a case of death, injury, or illness, the government officials, WorkSafe, EPA, and lawyers will consider action against the Owners of the land that the cooling tower is located on, directors, operators, mechanical service providers, refrigeration contractors, water treatment companies and cooling tower cleaning companies.
Darren Also noted that in some cases, if there was 25mm of dirt at the bottom of the cooling tower, chemicals cannot get into the dirt to treat the bacteria within the dirt. This can result in severe corrosion of steel, and a safe place for the Legionella bacteria to grow is it is protected from the water treatment chemicals.
Why Experience Matters:
With more than 33 years of experience in the cooling tower service cleaning and maintenance industry, means that they really know everything that there is to know about cooling towers.
They provide a complete, end to end solution when it comes to cooling tower maintenance, from start to finish, their services include post-completion guarantees as well.
What happens if your cooling tower needs mechanical or parts replacement?
Coolclean highly recommends and strongly encourages their clients to speak to Flowmatrix, a company that specialises in repairs and services, that includes arranging new parts for your cooling tower.
They can also install or just sell them to you, however whatever the situation they will provide you with any advice needed.
More about Coolclean:
Coolclean pride themselves in their knowledge, and their customer care policy that ensures that they provide amazing customer service. Darren details that “it is critical to help individuals achieve the best results they possibly can by providing”
“Our approach is simple, we look out for our clients, treat their cooling towers as if they are our own”
Coolclean will also:
- Recommend when and how frequently to clean your cooling tower which is around 6 months.
- Understand the builds, makes, models, and manufacturers of all cooling towers in Australia to be able to set up their clients with what is most suitable for them.
- Be responsible in adjusting and balancing all chemicals appropriately for pre and post disinfection. Balance water treatment chemicals on completion.
- Understand how to examine and check all components of the cooling towers.
- Offer a full comprehensive service/condition/maintenance report.
- Take photos of components that are faulty and include them in your cleaning report
- Work safely, wearing the appropriate.
- PPE gear that protects everybody, and the environment.
- Be compliant, and work within government cooling tower cleaning regulations, like cleaning all interior surfaces.
- Work smart, efficiently, and in ways that cause minimal disruption to your business, building employees, or the public.
- Have experience understanding how to disassemble various parts of cooling towers, for successful cleaning outcomes.
- Know how drift eliminators, fill packs, air intake splash louvres and water nozzles work so that they can report faults during a clean.
- Have the training to run a confined space entry, permit writing and a rescue plan
They will also refer clients that have service or repair issues to nationwide, trusted providers like Flowmatrix to ensure standards are maintained.
The Steps Required to Clean a Cooling Tower:
Step 1: Safely procedure
The first step before cleaning a cooling tower is to inspect the tower. Ensure that there is safe access to all access panels and that they can be removed safely. Check the isolation procedures for the site, complete the SWMS and JSEA, understanding permits such as confined space entry requirements, working at heights, using EWP / scaffold, correct wastewater disposal, and understanding the building or site rules can be accomplished.
The Coolclean team are also all 3 times COVID vaccinated….
Step 2: Cooling Tower Treatment process. Pre-Disinfection
Carry out the disinfection of the cooling tower for at least a one hour period.
The Victorian state law states that 10ppm, of free chlorine must be held within a pH range of 7 to 7.6 for a minimum of one hour.
The bacteria/fungus that grow in cooling towers may cause harm or illness to humans, and so it is necessary to disinfect with proper chemicals as per State Government Regulations.
This makes the cleaning process safer and easier while eliminating excessive growth.
Step 3: Cooling Tower interior cleaning
All Interior components and surfaces such as drift eliminators, water nozzles, splash louvers, fan drives, casings, and basin surfaces need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized to function properly.
To do this, all access panels must be removed to get inside which is why safe access and confined space entry regulations must be addressed prior to the clean. Not having safe access is not an excuse to not do the interior clean, as that is law. Coolclean find ways to to do the work correctly, both short team solutions and long team options
Coolclean takes photos and attaches them to the service report that is provided.
This ensures nothing was damaged or done incorrectly in the process.
Step 4: Reassemble
Ensure all components of the cooling tower that were disassembled are properly reassembled into place. To prevent faults such as water splashing, drift, bacterial growth, electric motor failure, melting of plastic components, and damage to a chiller, heat exchanger, or process.
Step 5: Final Cooling Tower Post Disinfection
After the cleaning and inspection are completed, bacteria have been successfully disturbed so it must be disinfected to eliminate regrowth by a final disinfection procedure.
Carry out the disinfection of the cooling tower for at least a one-hour period
The Victorian state law states that 10ppm, of free chlorine must be held within a pH range of 7 to 7.6 for a minimum of one hour.
This step is enforced as Legionella Bacteria could have been living and growing deep in the fill pack, on casing surfaces, in the drift eliminators and in pockets of dirt in the basin, Making the final disinfected procedure critical to the maintenance steps.
Step 6: Cooling Tower Cleaning Service Reporting
The after-cleaning safety report is created with the data that has been taken from examining and cleaning the cooling tower. Also included are the levels of chlorine and Ph, as well as when the cooling towers needed to be treated again based on these results. Photos are added from the interior cleaning process of the components and surfaces such as drift eliminators, basin casing and fill pack.
Apart of the after-service reporting, if your cooling tower needs further repairs or services, Coolclean will refer you to a reputable company https://flowmatrix.com.au/ who are a service provider, ensuring a proper cooling tower service.
Get up to date with your cooling tower maintenance and give the guys at Coolclean a call Darren and the Coolclean team are always looking out for their clients, providing the highest quality service possible.
Have you had your cooling tower cleaned all these years by a water treatment company as it was the “cheaper” option and you thought that cleaning had to be done by a water treatment company? Do you believe that this is all you need to do to reduce your risk?
Well, we can tell you that this attitude and approach could very well end up landing you in trouble.
In this article, we explain why it’s important to get your cooling tower cleaned independently by cooling tower professionals, what this means to the outcome and results, and how this will avoid unnecessary problems.
We understand that cooling towers are a very niche topic, an important and needed piece of infrastructure that is fundamental to employees’ and customers’ safety, and wellbeing, keeping them as well as food products or equipment cool.
Many people simply don’t understand that cleaning cooling towers are very different to treating the water in them with chemicals alone. Not cleaning a cooling tower using a cooling tower professional is presenting a whole range of problems to the owner and operators that often leads to serious health risks, the underperformance of the unit, and a BIG cost to the owners and operators both financially and in some cases legally as well.
To better understand this very detailed, technical space we sat down with
Darren Driscoll and Jason Christensen are the owners of CoolClean, a 100% Australian owned and operated company specialising in the cleaning of cooling towers and cool rooms of commercial and industrial premises throughout Australia.
So, what are the key differences between professional cooling tower cleaning and cooling tower water treatment?
The CoolClean guys spoke about Water treatment companies’ primary role and their most profitable activities are to sell chemicals, testing, dosing equipment, and filtration systems. Treating your water is basically where they are at, that’s it. For a water treatment company, Cleaning is low profit and has a high amount of labour, so it is not a good activity for them. They generally only do it to keep competitors out.
However, just treating your water instead of cleaning the actual cooling tower correctly, and all components will over time lead to a range of problems such as corrosion, fouling, scaling, deposits, and microbiological impurities. Yes, the cooling tower and system deteriorate without professional cleaning being carried out which is very surprising. Further to this, dirty units, scaled, and fouled, run hotter, corrode faster, break down, and cause chillers, compressors, or process equipment to fail.
All these cause high maintenance costs high electricity costs, and high water costs and might cause an emergency shut down of a cooling towers systems when parts, motors, and components fail.
Cooling Tower cleaning however is a very different service. Professional cooling tower people ensure that most parts of the cooling tower are disassembled, access is gained, and then all interior surfaces are cleaned extensively.
Indeed, cleaning cooling towers rather than simply treating the water is the only way to avoid all of the problems mentioned above.
What should Cooling Tower Cleaning include?
Darren explains that It’s very important that any company that offers cooling tower cleaning have the knowledge and technical experience to help people get the best results they possibly can. They should also offer advice and more on the following services:
•Recommend when and how often to clean your cooling tower
•Know the builds, makes, models, and manufacturers of all cooling towers to understand what individual towers need.
- Understand how to carry out the manufacturer’s requirements of the Operation and Maintenance Instructions
•Be experienced in adjusting and balancing all chemicals correctly for disinfection.
•Understand how to inspect and check all components of the cooling towers
•Offer and create a full report of your cooling tower cleaning service afterwards for compliance and or warranty purposes.
- Take photos of components that are faulty and include them in your cleaning report
•Work safely, wearing the correct protectant PPE gear that protects everybody, and the environment.
•Be compliant, and work within government cooling tower cleaning regulations, like cleaning all interior surfaces.
- Work smartly, efficiently, and in ways that cause minimal disruption to your business, building employees, or the public.
•Have to experience understanding how to disassemble various parts of cooling towers, for best cleaning outcomes.
- Know how drift eliminators, fill packs, air intake splash louvres and water nozzles work so that they can report faults during a clean.
- Have the training to run a confined space entry if required or a rescue plan
What can go wrong if cooling towers are not cleaned correctly?
DID YOU KNOW?
Legionnaire’s disease is a MASSIVE issue when it comes to cooling towers with
around 400 cases in Australia a year alone. It’s also a fact that 15 out of 100 people die from the disease! Why is this happening when water treatment has been enforced for over 20 years.
Is it poor cleaning and maintenance of the cooling towers?CoolClean believes that professional cleaning saves lives and reduces illness caused by Legionella from cooling towers
Darren shared an experience telling us “There was a case where a water treatment company were maintaining the Melbourne Aquariums cooling tower, and through some complications, it was found out the tower had not been properly treated cleaned and maintained for a month or so. This caused 16 people to lose their lives”
and did you know who is responsible for this? Not just the cooling tower water treatment company, but the OWNER and the builder.
It’s just so important to be aware as people’s lives are quite literary at stake if cleaning cooling towers is not done correctly.
Other less severe problems include
- Damage to cooling tower motors, parts, and components
- High energy costs that result from inefficiency due to parts that are not cleaned and under strain
- A lack of performance to keep people, machinery, and food items cool enough results in loss of production, stress, and loss of inventory.
- Corrosion of supports, steel sheet roof, vehicles, pipework
CoolClean has more than 33 years of experience in the cooling tower cleaning industry meaning that they know everything that there is to know about cooling tower cleaning.
CoolClean is allowed to clean any cooling tower in Australia as they are fully insured and qualified to do so.
There are no regulations or rules in any Australian State that enforces that a cooling tower should be cleaned by a water treatment company.
The cooling towers manufacturers want professionals to clean the cooling tower correctly so that they are not having conflict with cooling tower owners as the cleaning was not correct and the operational and maintenance instructions were not carried out correctly.
Nothing worse for a cooling tower manufacturer when their brand-new cooling tower fails due to corrosion, water leaks or fan drive faults, due to poor cleaning and maintenance practices carried out by a water treatment company.
They provide a complete, end to end solution when it comes to cleaning cooling towers, a reality from start to finish, and a post-completion service that also comes with guarantees of their work.
CoolClean pride themselves on the experience and customised service that they provide, unlike (unfortunately) some water treatment companies that simply take advantage of people wanting to pay less, or where they don’t understand all the serious risks, by providing a service that in many times is not up to health safety regulations, that could cause a lot of damage to everybody.
Step 1: Cooling Tower Safety.
The first step when cleaning a cooling tower is to inspect the tower. Safe access to remove all access panels, safe isolation process, doing an SWMS, understanding permits, confined space entry requirements, wastewater disposal, equipment operation, understanding the building or site rules
Step 2: Cooling Tower Treat for Bacteria. First disinfection
The cleaning professional need to remove cooling tower access panels, remove components and pressure clean all interior surfaces, so the cooling tower must be made safe for them.
The bacteria/fungus that grow in cooling towers may cause harm or illness in humans, and so it is necessary to disinfect with proper chemicals as per State Government Regulations.
This is done by a disinfection procedure where 10 ppm of free chlorine is held for a minimum of one hour while controlling the pH range between 7 to 7.6
This makes the cleaning and inspection process safer and easier while eliminating excessive growth.
Step 3: Cooling Tower Professional cleaning of all interior surfaces
Cleaning and inspecting all the interior surfaces of a cooling tower system is where you get the best long-term results for the safe and best cooling performance of the cooling tower and your system.
All the interior components require cleaning to get them to work correctly, so the fill pack, drift eliminators, water nozzles, splash louvers, fan drives, casing and basin surfaces are all cleaned and inspected. To prove that this was done, Chill Action take photos and attaches them to the service report.
Cleaning is done using a water pressure cleaner as that will remove slime, bacteria, scale and dirt from the interior surfaces. If the water treatment company are telling you that a hose will clean these surfaces, they have no idea or no interest in doing a clean properly, as a hose will not work.
Professional cleaners like CoolClean will not damage the components either as they know what they are doing.
Step 4: Cooling Tower Reassemble
Ensure all components of the cooling tower that were disassembled go correctly back into place, as if not done properly this can cause faults like water splashing, drift, bacteria growth, electric motor failure, melting of plastic components, and damage to say a chiller, heat exchanger or process.
Step 5: Second Cooling Tower Disinfection to Remove disturbed Bacteria
Now that the cleaning and inspection are completed, bacteria has been disturbed so it must be disinfected to eliminate regrowth. This is done by a second disinfection procedure where 10 ppm of free chlorine is held for a minimum of one hour while controlling the pH range between 7 to 7.6
Don’t mess this up as the Legionella Bacteria could have been living deep in the fill pack, under slime on the casing surfaces, in the drift eliminators, in pockets of dirt in the basin, so the second disinfection kills it off.
Step 6: Cooling Tower After cleaning service reporting
The after-cleaning safety report is created with the data that has been taken from examining and cleaning the cooling tower. This also includes all the levels of chlorine and PH balances, of the cooling towers and when it was needing to be cleaned again based on these results. Photos are added of the interior components and surfaces such as drift eliminators, basin casing and fill pack.
You have a fantastic record of the condition of your cooling tower, and if there are faults you can plan to have them repaired instead of waiting for the cooling tower to breakdown or to have a Legionella outbreak that kills or makes people sick, on the property and up to 2 km’s away.
Cleaning and chemical use safety.
Darren spoke about the importance of Health and safety when cleaning cooling towers. The CoolClean guys wear highly protective PPE gear when working with chemicals and for the possible bacteria in the cooling towers to protect themselves and others from anything harmful.
It is important to know about the types of chemicals CoolClean use:
CoolClean dose free Chlorine at 10 PPM (a very high level of chlorine concentration)
Acid and caustic to control the pH level between 7 to 7.6 which is the range where the chlorine works best to kill the bacteria.
We also add water treatment company chemicals as required, such as corrosion inhibitors and biocides. Just need the dosage rates
As you can see, cleaning your cooling tower is extremely important.
The CoolClean team believes that there is only one correct way to do that, professionally
Get your cooling tower inspected today, give Darren and Jason a call and get it done properly so that you don’t encounter any problems like the ones listed in this article.
They also love helping people.
Looking to get your cool room, fan coil units, evaporators, cleaned? It’s that time of the year and it’s time to clean your cool room, or perhaps you have an inspector coming in soon and need to make sure it’s up to scratch?
Whatever your reason, we want you to know a little bit more about the cool room cleaning process as this you will find is very helpful.
There is so much that people are never told or can find out by simply searching for it online, so we took the time and sat down with Darren Driscoll and Jason Christenson owners of Coolclean to better understand the cool room cleaning process, important tips, processes, as well as their personal experiences.
Coolclean provides a service and reporting system that addresses modern world concerns for your cooling systems and cool rooms. Our knowledge covers 32 years of the various designs, makes and models of cooling systems, and cool rooms, so when you call Coolclean you know that we can deal with modern equipment as well as older outdated equipment.
Why Cool room hygiene is important:
Hygiene is super important when it comes to dealing with food storage in cool rooms, which is why it is important to have all the correct information.
These are the types of services Darren and Jason spoke about to give a better idea about what YOU need.
The most common types of services that cool rooms and cold storage facilities are used for are typical to store food items. You will find cool rooms in all supermarkets, restaurants, hotels, distribution centres, anywhere where food needs to be kept cool, cold, or frozen for a long time, to keep the food in good condition.
The air in these cool rooms is typically chilled anywhere between 10 degrees down to freezing at minus 24 degrees.
The principle is pretty much the same for most units, being, there is a cooling coil with a fan drive, that pushes the air over the refrigerated coil. Once it goes over the chilled coil, the fan distributes the air into the space, pumping it around, cooling it cold store down until we get the temperate set point.
Cool room units get dirty because of dust, bacteria that forms or comes in from pallets and boxes used, usually in transportation, trucks, forklifts, etc. For the same reason the fan coil units, evaporators, Penthouse unit and Alcove units get dirty and contaminated with bacteria, mould and slime
The cool room units that we optimize
- FAN COOL UNITS FCU
- ALCOVE UNITS
- PENTHOUSE UNITS
- The refresh units
Coolclean cleans all these cool room units using food grade contact and HACCP approved Aeris chemical disinfectant and a sanitiser, dismantling the systems, removing dirt mould from coils, cleaning walls, floors, ceilings as well, that get very dirty.
While no regulation says cool rooms must be cleaned at regular intervals, Darren has said that the recommended time to clean cool rooms is around 6 months to a year to optimize the cool rooms cooling performance, the lifespan of the panels and the lifespan of the FCU and evaporators.
“When cooling systems are dirty, they can start to blow black deposits out into the air which tends to also cause black stains on ceilings” This is a mix of dirt, bacteria and mould that is growing inside the cooling units, in the coils, in the drip tray, and the drains. See the image below.
Benefits of cleaning cool rooms and cooling systems
When learning more about keeping a cool room clean it’s important to understand the benefits of why we do it, in this case, many benefits include.
- The possibility of food spoilage is minimised.
- There are no contaminants or bacteria
- Cleaning also ensures an accurate and consistent temperature.
- The smooth functioning of the system is ensured by the flow of air
- The cooling capacity of the system is also increased
- units will perform better
- units will last longer
You need to be aware of certain rules and regulations in Australia. Working with food involves many health and safety requirements that are in place to protect you, your staff, and your customers. Therefore, Coolclean staff are HACCP trained and the company is HACCP certified.
Cool Rooms or cold stores that are not clean, or not operating efficiently, are a safety and health risk
Jason points out that “when cooling rooms or the FCU evaporators units’ ice up, or the tray if full of dirt, the water produced cannot go down the drain line properly, and so spills out on the floor below freezing and becoming a big safety risk”
“For example, forklifts or people driving over them can slip, freezing also causes damage to the panels, joints, parts, as the water expands when it freezes, adversely affecting the lifespan of the cool room panel as well.” Coolclean carry out cool room or cold store panel sealing using Aqua Guard
How long does it take to clean a cool room fan coil unit or evaporator unit?
It generally takes a couple of guys 3-4 hours to clean a unit, using pressure cleaners.
Coolclean has a unique approach to cleaning cool room units, and this includes
- Remove the fan from housing and clean both sides of the fan blades and the safety grill.
- Clean and flush heat transfer coils with a cleaner.
- Clean internal and external surfaces of the fan unit.
- Remove and clean the condensation drip tray.
- Clean mould and bacteria on surfaces of walls and ceiling immediately around the fan unit in the cool room.
- Power wash floors ceilings and walls
- providing a full report that can be traced back at any time, to maintain the highest standard.
- Chill Action team have HACCP trained technicians, and are also ARIS trained, all to enhance performance, hygiene, and ensure safety to every client.
We asked about any experiences Darren and Jason may have had from the many years that they have been doing their job.
Jason told us about his biggest horror story while quoting a cleaning job:
“I went out to quote these guys who have a niche thing they do with a large grocery chain in the food space. They had an audit with a large grocery chain coming up and had called me to make sure everything was spotless, and so I did a full walkthrough and asked when the last time was that they had a full clean they had said around 3 years. I was so shocked you wouldn’t believe, there was mould growing just everywhere it was horrifying, I just couldn’t believe they were selling this food to a large grocery chain. They gave me some food to take home as I was leaving, and I just had to throw them in the bin”
OMG, what a horror story therefore it is so much more important than you think as who knows where the food you’re eating is coming from.
Tips for cool room unit cleaning.
Darren and Jason mentioned some helpful tips, you should know if you own a cool room and when to know you need a quote.
Common cool room problems that can occur are easy things to pick up on that includes, failed fans and dirty coils, blocked drain lines, leaking trays, excessive mould and bacteria growth.
- The floor and surfaces of a cold room should be always kept clean and well-maintained.
- A vacuum cleaner can be used for dust, dirt, mould, and water accumulations on the floor
- A mild detergent or specialist cool room cleaning products should be used to clean the surfaces.
- It is very important to note that nowadays inspectors are getting better at what to look for when inspecting cool rooms and cold stores They are now starting to pay attention to the condition of the fan coil units, the evaporators, the Penthouse unit, the Thermfresh units, Cold Logic units and the Alcove units.
- The days of getting away with having the cold and cool room equipment not cleaned are slowly coming to an end with major food chain companies like Coles, Aldi, Woolworths, IGA, conducting audits on facilities, taking swaps off fan coil unit trays and coils, off walls and racking, to see if bacteria and mould growth is present.
- Bacteria, mould, slide and dirt are distributed from fan coil units, evaporators and other cooling equipment so best to have them disinfected cleaned and treated by an approved HACCP company like Coolclean
Get your cool room inspected today, give Darren and Jason a call and get it done properly so that the cool rooms unit performance will improve, your food will last longer, not be a health risk, and you will get a longer life from your unit. Pass your site audits and avoid being shut down or losing contracts.
Coolclean recently announced the launch of FlowMatrix, to focus on cooling tower repairs. It’s a very exciting time, and we’d like to take this opportunity to highlight the main aims of the new company.
Knowledge, advice and support
At FlowMatrix we’re aware of the importance of correct cooling tower repairs and component selections. We want to share this knowledge with each of our customers.
With 30 years’ experience keeping cooling towers safe, we pride ourselves on our commitment to OH&S, environmental protection, staff and customer training, and reducing Legionella risk to the public.
We look forward to continuing to assist your organisation to understand how you can achieve greater cooling tower performance, better efficiency and improved safety.
Reduce cooling tower safety risks
To correctly repair a cooling tower, the Legionella risks must be understood. We follow best practice by carefully selecting components to significantly reduce the risk of a Legionella outbreak. Both FlowMatrix and Coolclean have full Public Liability insurance, which includes Legionella cover.
Reports, photos and RMPs
Our repair service includes comprehensive reports, together with photos of the work carried out. Having visual proof of the repairs conducted assists Health Department Auditors and writers of your Legionella Risk Management Program.
Is there anything we can help with?
Please contact us if you have any questions, or if we can assist with cooling tower inspections, repairs or spare parts for cooling towers.
FlowMatrix Pty Ltd
Level 1, Unit 7, 11 Lord Street
Botany NSW 2019
02 8335 0847
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive
Hallam VIC 3803
03 8765 9522
- Dec 2018: Christmas opening hours and emergency contact details
- Nov 2018: We go inside cooling towers
- Oct 2018: Another Sydney building tests positive for legionnaires’ disease
- 2018: Melbourne legionnaire’s death leads to review of cooling tower regulations
- Sep 2018: Coolclean has grown and we now service other States
- July 2018: Find out how to reduce your Legionella risk and possibly save money at the same time
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne