What Are Cooling Towers?November 6th, 2015
Prior to the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, most businesses didn’t have to worry about cooling their workplaces. It was not until the latter part of the 1890’s to the early 1900’s that the need for a reliable, dependable and consistent means to cool workplaces became of paramount importance to management. While older workplaces prior to the height of the Industrial Revolution depended solely on ventilation as a means for cooling, the introduction of large-scale factories and refineries, which often had their fair share of large machinery, necessitated a better approach to cooling.
While there have been a number of proposed cooling methods over time that were supposed to ‘guarantee’ efficient cooling for factories and refineries, all of these fell short of the expectations. It was not until the latter part of the 19th century that a revolutionary way to help that would provide ample ventilation and cooling to refineries and factories was developed.
With the growing demand for improved working conditions and better chances of manipulating the environment to increase functionality for its machinery, industries found the solution to these problems – the invention of the cooling tower.
A Quick Look at the History of Cooling Towers
Cooling towers were initially developed during the 19th century and was inspired in part by the science of condensers, which were employed by steam engines. The earliest cooling tower followed the simple science of condensers and was initially fashioned from a variety of local materials. The earliest description of these unique structures was that they were free-standing edifices or otherwise constructed atop the rooftops of buildings.
These were made with wood or brick in order to construct a shell or foundation frame, although some examples were even designed using light-metal plating such as galvanized sheeting. Another type of cooling tower featured automated fans that helped to circulate cool air from the outside and release the trapped heat from within.
Today, the science behind the humble cooling tower has advanced significantly. Modern cooling towers are now fitted with high cooling performance modular block fill pack, low drift loss modular drift eliminators, and sunlight reducing air intake louvres with anti-splash functionality.
For more information on cooling towers and how they can be designed to increase cooling using less energy visit www.coolclean.com.au.
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam, VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
+ 61 03 8765 9501
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Dec 2017: Santa’s stocking is full – and so is our warehouse!
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Why Fibreflow Cooling Towers Excel in Quality
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne