What are Air Handling Units?January 29th, 2016
Blog: If you’ve ever passed under a metal duct, one that forms a part of an HVAC system, you may have heard a mechanical “belch” emanating from its hollow innards. This is nothing more than the pressure differential equalising within a building’s environmental control framework. Air handling units push the air around this metal circuit, driving warm currents into rooms and hallways so that they can circulate and warm the cool space. Generic in terminology, the fan modules are the dynamic stage of a heating ventilation and air conditioning system (HVAC), although the AC section can be omitted, again for the sake of creating a generic climate management network.
The inlet pathways and cooling technology that allows warmth to find its way into a specified area would be next to useless without air handling units. They’re the boxy modular assemblies that contain electrically powered fans and belt drives. The motor turns a belt, and the belt rotates a blower assembly, a mechanical contrivance that assumes a handful of shapes. Axial fans and centrifugal blowers form the heart of the module, but that’s a bit like saying the human body works on heart power. There’s a lot more going on inside the squarish metal chamber than fans blowing air, although this is a core function.
Compact Modular Efficiency
Air handling units substitute passive atmospheric pressure with a dynamic electrically powered wind, true, but many more components are installed in the easy-to-maintain box. Mechanically actuated vents are often located on the inlet and outlet sides of the AHU, as are the filters. The idea is to create a network of ducts that go anywhere in the building, but the handler stays in an accessible location so as to allow quick maintenance. A lockable door with a strong seal is fitted to a man-sized housing. On opening the housing, an engineer can replace filters, adjust fan belts, replace the electric motor, and/or generally maintain the entire HVAC system from an accessible location.
Smaller buildings typically use a few AHU appliances, but large high rise structures and office buildings employ multiple units – appliances that create what’s called a multi-zone HVAC system. From here the fans circulate air and dampers open or close to direct cooling or heating energy. To do this, heating elements and cooling coils are added to the blower stage, creating the full heating, ventilating, and air conditioning experience in a box.
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam, VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
+ 61 03 8765 9501
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Dec 2018: Christmas opening hours and emergency contact details
- Nov 2018: We go inside cooling towers
- Oct 2018: Another Sydney building tests positive for legionnaires’ disease
- 2018: Melbourne legionnaire’s death leads to review of cooling tower regulations
- Sep 2018: Coolclean has grown and we now service other States
- July 2018: Find out how to reduce your Legionella risk and possibly save money at the same time
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne