Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower PerformanceApril 29th, 2016
Blog: A series of complex mechanical parts, plastic fans, PVC fill pack and drift eliminators form the backbone of a high-performing cooling tower. They’re technologically refined and intelligently engineered, built to maximise energy savings while providing a safe legionella free and a productive cooling solution. On traveling back in time, early cooling towers and evaporative condensers were the tall metal stacks that relied on pacific heat transfer from a prevailing wind. They passed potable water directly through condensers which caused evaporative cooling, leaking vital fluids into drains. This wasteful practice has long since faded away, leaving cooling tower performance engineers to focus on water saving recycling systems, fluid filtration, drift reduction, and the mechanics involved in atmospheric lakeside cool type heat rejection.
Tower Thermal Performance Improvements
Large aquacool fibreglass or steel Baltimore type cooling tower columns use wide surface areas and active air intake louver systems to good purpose, but that same open surface introduces a number of chinks in the proverbial coolboy armor. The centrifugal fans or axial impellers and primitive heat exchangers used inside antiquated cooling towers, for example, were very inefficient and prone to corrosion. Modern air coil plants are built from rust-resistant alloys or fibreglass. They substitute axial hydrothermal fans in place of less efficient BAC centrifugal fans, with new fan drives shafts pulleys bearings, and innovative fill packs solve heat exchange issues by maximizing surface to water contact. The incorporated Brentwood style fill packs use specially designed plastic films, proprietary materials that assume intricate geometrical shapes, cross-fluted and herringbone patterns with intricately designed fluid distribution surfaces. Chemical treatment for corrosion uses inhibitors and biocides to protect corroded basins. Sacrificial anodes can also protect cooling tower basins, reducing the need for epoxy coating or fibreglassing and flow coating
In evaluating cooling tower performance, we’re constantly reevaluating the air conditioning and refrigeration systems that generate chilled air. Scale is a problem, as is the areas on the tower where biological growths prosper so water treatment is required. A state-of-the-art maintenance program takes care of this issue, plus there are water conditioners working in concert with the mechanical maintenance strategy. Meanwhile, newly installed variable speed fans VSD’s are reacting instantly when the cooling cycle slows, thus actively helping to modulate the cooling process. Similarly, variable flow spray pumps are adapting to ensure the fill medium is properly wetted at all times. Accumulated solids are eliminated via bleed in this manner, leading to a rise in fill pack efficiency and a simultaneous drop in excess evaporation, the watery mists that overfill drain channels. High-quality drift eliminators support this latter function, and air intake louvers stop water splash out. Clean water distribution nozzles allow full water flow, and rubber grommets allow easy removal for maintenance. Hot water decks require sunlight protection to reduce bacteria, often identified in risk management plans, RMP.
Confined space entry needs to be always considered when inspecting cooling tower components such as suction strainers, ball float valves, overflow, and drain lines. A JSA should be completed before a basin in entered. Gas testing needs to take place to ensure oxygen levels are safe in pits tanks and there are no ammonia leaks from the condenser coils.
The aim is to keep all BAC cooling tower performance on the cutting-edge, ahead of the technological curve by introducing better materials and superior engineering solutions. The solutions address environmental concerns, sewage trade waste issues, and energy saving methodologies. They recycle conditioned treated water, introduce noise abatement baffles, sound attenuators, maximise heat exchange processes, and keep costs low. There’s more to look forward to in the next few years, with an improved relationship between airflow delivery and cooling water management opening the way to greater system improvements.
Safe access platforms and ladders are also critical to allow ongoing cooling tower component inspection and maintenance, in line with AS3666, AS/ NZS 3666 part 1 2 and 3
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam, VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
+ 61 03 8765 9501
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Oct 2018: Another Sydney building tests positive for legionnaires’ disease
- (Published May 2018): Melbourne legionnaire’s death leads to review of cooling tower regulations
- Sep 2018: Coolclean has grown and we now service other States
- July 2018: Find out how to reduce your Legionella risk and possibly save money at the same time
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new Fibreflow cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Why Fibreflow Cooling Towers Excel in Quality
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne