Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings VicDecember 23rd, 2016
Here’s some information about a large job that we completed last month.
Steel Facility, Hastings – December 2016
Summary: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean
Asset: Superchill Cooling Tower
Last month we were engaged to address an under-performing cooling tower system. When we arrived at the site, we found an ageing fill pack that was heavily clogged with dirt. The fill pack had not been removed and cleaned for some time, and the tower was running at well under capacity.
Fill pack is generally not removed during routine cleaning and disinfection as it is a very time consuming process. It is done on an as-needed basis. As dirt builds up within the fill pack, heat rejection, cooling function and water coverage becomes impaired. Chemicals dosed to the system that are designed to slow corrosion and kill bacteria become less effective as they fail to reach all areas within the unit. Bacteria can go unchecked because areas within the fill pack become completely isolated from treatment, affecting water quality and increasing undesired microbial growth and corrosion rates. Supports that hold the fill pack as well as the structure of the tower are put under stress from the sheer weight of the blocks and can collapse resulting in loss of production and earnings.
In addition to the Routine Clean, a Performance Clean of the fill pack was conducted (sometimes known as a Superclean). This ensured that the tower would meet the demands of summer heat and cool down the adjoining systems effectively.
Note: This large job took three days to complete and involved the removal, cleaning and replacement of 500 blocks of fill pack. When new, a block of PVC fill pack (1.2m x 0.3m x 0.3m) weighs approximately 5 kg. When very dirty, they can weigh up to 30 kg each.
Our approach was:
- We first carried out a Routine Clean and disinfection on the tower, including removal and cleaning of drift eliminators, and cleaning the basin.
- The fill pack blocks were then removed for a full comprehensive clean (Performance Clean). The fill pack was removed block by block and pressure cleaned to remove all the dirt, following a standard disinfection and the addition of a bio-detergent to aid in the clean.
- A vacuum truck and lifting equipment were also required to carry out the task safely.
Following the Performance Clean, the outcome is as follows:
- The cooling tower now maintains the correct cooling capacity to the associated equipment
- Drift loss is reduced and the overall legionaries disease risk is reduced
- Correct air flow through the fill pack reduces power consumption and costs
- Reduces chemical use, by reducing the dirt and biological load in the fill pack
- The chance of a fill pack collapse due to structural failure has now been reduced
Note: We recommend that clients be aware of the condition of fill pack as it can become clogged with dirt in 3-5 years, depending on site conditions. This applies to all cooling towers, including but not limited to Aquacool, BAC, Coolboy, Lakeside, Temcell, Shinwa and Superchill.
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam, VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
+ 61 03 8765 9501
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Dec 2018: Christmas opening hours and emergency contact details
- Nov 2018: We go inside cooling towers
- Oct 2018: Another Sydney building tests positive for legionnaires’ disease
- 2018: Melbourne legionnaire’s death leads to review of cooling tower regulations
- Sep 2018: Coolclean has grown and we now service other States
- July 2018: Find out how to reduce your Legionella risk and possibly save money at the same time
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new Fibreflow cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Why Fibreflow Cooling Towers Excel in Quality
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne