Reduce your Legionella risk and excessive operational costs associated with cooling towers. Do not settle for a routine/compliance clean when you can receive a comprehensive service that includes the cleaning process.
We provide a full booking service which includes equipment, labour, inductions, ladders, platforms, scissor lifts, access booms, confined space testing, permits, JSA, SWIM, vacuum trucks, chemical passivation, biocide treatment, and stock re-location.
With 30 years’ experience, Coolclean is trusted by leading Australian companies to reduce Legionella risk, optimise cooling performance, reduce the impact of chemicals on the environment, and save water.
Coolclean carries out cooling system servicing throughout Australia. We work for quality-focused water treatment companies, air-conditioning mechanical services companies, refrigeration companies, property owners and industrial companies. These companies engage Coolclean because they want their equipment to be serviced correctly, not just cleaned.
To reduce public health risk, the correct servicing of cooling towers should be mandatory throughout Australia. While some water treatment companies and cooling tower service providers are providing the correct service through a cooling tower specialist such as Coolclean, many are simply ‘taking shortcuts’ to reduce costs. We believe the primary focus of all cooling tower owners and service providers should be to save lives by reducing Legionella outbreaks.
The following critical cooling tower components must be serviced on a regular basis (at least annually, but preferably every six months) to protect the public from Legionella bacteria. As part of our standard Performance Service, Coolclean technicians work to a checklist to remove critical components, perform an inspection and high pressure clean, including difficult to access areas:
1. Drift eliminators. Drift eliminators help to stop Legionella bacteria leaving the cooling tower and infecting the public. Drift eliminators must be regularly inspected, kept clean and undamaged. Removal for cleaning is best practice.
2. Water distribution nozzles. Water nozzles and associated pipes/trays MUST be clean and free of debris to allow treated cooling tower water to make full contact with all internal components. Bacteria cannot be destroyed with chemicals if the chemicals do not reach the bacteria. For example, if the water is not being distributed evenly across fill pack, coils and casing, then water treatment cannot be effective as bacteria will live and breed in these areas.
3. Fill pack and coils. These are the heat exchange components. To cool effectively, the fill pack and coils must be kept as clean as possible. It is critical that water runs over the surfaces freely without interference from dirt, scale and bacteria. Dirt in cooling tower fill pack is a breeding ground for bacteria.
4. Air intake louvers. These components stop water splashing onto surfaces outside the cooling tower. Reducing water splash-out protects the environment. Updating air intake louvers to modern louvers with sunlight block-out is a major improvement to assist the water treatment program as sunlight promotes bacteria and algae growth.
5. Other items. Casing, basin, fans, motor drives, hot water boxes, strainers, pumps, ball float valves, chemical dosing lines, outside casing and the area surrounding a cooling tower.
Does your current cooling tower maintenance include all of the above? If you are unsure, the solution is to request photos as evidence that these steps have been conducted.