Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminatorsFebruary 15th, 2017
Download PDF: ‘Legionella and the role of Drift Eliminators‘
Drift eliminators are the most critical component in a cooling tower relating to health and safety. They are the last line of defence against Legionella.
Legionella bacteria in cooling towers is controlled by two critical elements:
1. The water treatment program – the first line of control.
2. The function, design and condition of drift eliminators – the second line of control.
But what if the water treatment program fails for a few days?
This could be due to:
- Power loss to the chemical dosing equipment (tripped fuse)
- Empty chemical drums
- A broken plumbing line from the dosing equipment to the cooling tower
If the water treatment program fails in any way, drift eliminators are the back-up control measure. They are the last line of defence against Legionella bacteria.
Drift eliminators are extremely important in the attempt to prevent Legionnaires’ disease. This is because they restrict water droplets from leaving the cooling tower via the force of the fan. The droplets, known as ‘drift’, have the potential to harbour bacteria and pathogens such as Legionella.
These droplets can be inhaled by persons within a 2 km radius.
The drift eliminators are designed to control these droplets from becoming airborne and transmissible to people in the area, thus reducing the risk.
Excessive drift loss occurs in the following instances:
- If drift eliminators are not fitted correctly; or
- If drift eliminators are damaged, scaled, dirty, corroded or brittle.
It is highly recommended that they be replaced if defective; that they be removed and cleaned regularly; and inspected to ensure they are fitted correctly.
Cooling tower drift loss rates
(Assumes air conditioning cooling tower 2.4m x 2.4m running for an 8 hour day; 34.7 litres/second recirculation rate; 1,000,000 litres circulated)
- Drift loss based on Coolclean drift eliminators (0.001%): 10 litres/day
- Drift loss based on AS 3666 drift eliminators (0.002%): 20 litres/day
- Drift loss estimated if dirty, scaled, corroded or brittle (0.005%): 50 litres/day
- Drift loss if damaged or incorrectly fitted (conservative estimate 0.02%): 200 litres/day
Every single drop of drift has the potential to contain many legionella bacteria. Drift reduction is a major benefit and safeguard. If less than 10 CFU/ml (legionella) is classified as safe, what is the potential impact of 10lt, 20lt, 50lt or 200lt of drift loss in 8 hrs? What if the count is over 10 CFU/ml?
There is a need for more focus in maintaining cooling towers based on performance and legionella control. The water treatment is currently the main focus when it comes to cooling tower maintenance. How the cooling towers perform mechanically tends to be overlooked.
We come across many cooling towers in Melbourne with drift eliminators that are not inspected and maintained correctly.
DRIFT LOSS IS WATER LOSS
How often are your drift eliminators being checked and maintained?
Best practice is 3 monthly, in line with cooling tower manufacturers’ specifications, as generally stated in their operation and maintenance manuals.
The routine cooling tower clean is a great time to remove, inspect and clean the drift eliminators. We also recommend that photos are taken at this stage to prove that they are in good order. This is part of Coolclean’s standard routine clean procedure.
As a cooling tower specialist company, our focus is on all cooling tower components, but especially on the last line of defence against Legionella, the drift eliminators. No drift loss equates to no Legionella bacteria issue; very low drift loss equates to very low chance of Legionella.
Coolclean provides cleaning, repair and replacement of drift eliminators. We supply quality PVC drift eliminators, which are rated at a maximum drift loss of 0.001% of the recirculated water rate. This is well within Australian Standard requirements of 0.002%.
In summary, well maintained drift eliminators stop drift loss and control risk:
- Preventing the spread of Legionella bacteria
- Improving system efficiency
- Saving on water and reducing loss of treatment chemicals
- Avoiding damage to nearby roofs, buildings and cars – from chemicals contained in excessive drift
Contact us for assistance or advice.
Coolclean is based in Melbourne. We service Victoria, NSW, SA and Tas.
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam, VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
+ 61 03 8765 9501
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Dec 2018: Christmas opening hours and emergency contact details
- Nov 2018: We go inside cooling towers
- Oct 2018: Another Sydney building tests positive for legionnaires’ disease
- 2018: Melbourne legionnaire’s death leads to review of cooling tower regulations
- Sep 2018: Coolclean has grown and we now service other States
- July 2018: Find out how to reduce your Legionella risk and possibly save money at the same time
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne