July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosionJuly 25th, 2017
Basin corrosion in steel cooling towers can be extremely costly. Once corrosion starts, the process can accelerate quickly. Without effective intervention, it’s likely that large sections will need to be replaced, or the whole unit at great cost.
Corrosion is an ideal environment for bacteria to grow – legionella bacteria thrives on it. Corrosion also causes basin leaks, chemical loss and total failure.
Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
Many cooling tower manufacturers use an inferior basin coating, such as ‘ZAM’ (Zinc + Aluminium + Magnesium). In the harsh cooling tower environment, this is a very soft protection that simply doesn’t last. It tends to erode/wear off quickly, exposing the steel base, leading to corrosion of the base metal.
To restore internal surfaces, Coolclean uses a superior, long-lasting 3-step epoxy coating system. Unlike ‘ZAM’, it doesn’t wear out. The coating forms a hard mechanical bond to the metal surface, protecting the basin from harsh chemical treatment.
Benefits of basin restoration:
- Legionella is easier to control/risk of a breakout is reduced
- Water treatment becomes less complex
- Water savings
- Improves risk management, public safety and compliance
- Significant capital savings (repair vs replacement)
Correct priming and epoxy coating of your cooling tower basin together with effective ongoing water treatment, will protect the cooling tower for another 10 years or more – extending its life and optimising the safety and reliability of the unit.
In many cases, the cost to repair a basin is just a fraction of the cost to replace cooling tower cells.
Our advice is to address basin corrosion as soon as it starts.
Don’t hesitate to let us know if we can be of help.
PICTURED LEFT: A Corroded basin. MIDDLE: Red Indicator Coat – provides notice of any wear in the coating system (due to suspended solids), indicates that another top coat should be applied to keep equipment in A1 condition. RIGHT: Blue top coat.
Unit 21, 21-22 National Drive, Hallam, VIC 3803
+61 03 8765 9500
+ 61 03 8765 9501
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- May 2018: Introducing FlowMatrix, new sister company to Coolclean
- March 2018: Installation of new Fibreflow cooling tower
- Feb 2018: Blocked drift eliminators found, despite maintenance agreement
- Feb 2018: Another Legionnaires’ outbreak in Melbourne – Cooling Towers
- Jan 2018: Eliminate cooling tower corrosion (VIDEO)
- Our cooling tower Spare Parts warehouse is full
- Christmas opening times and emergency contact details
- Nov 2017: Coolclean supplies top quality Brentwood cooling tower parts, for fast delivery Australia-wide
- Nov 2017: Need Cooling Tower Repairs?
- Sep 2017: Jason Christensen – Newly appointed General Manager at Coolclean
- ‘Focus of Legionnaires Outbreak Misdirected’ – Coolclean’s Darren Driscoll, in Climate Control News
- Sep 2017: Services Update – Cooling Tower Repairs, Spare Parts, Melbourne Vic
- Sep 2017: Get ready for summer – Are your Fan Coil Units overdue for a clean?
- July 2017: Manufacturers’ basin coatings don’t stop corrosion
- July 2017 HACCP article: A case of food processing contamination
- Infographic: Are your cooling tower cleans effective?
- June 2017 – Appointment of Michael Perikleous, to manage Coolclean repairs & installations
- April 2017 MEDIA RELEASE: Legionella outbreak in Melbourne – How to help prevent future outbreaks
- April 2017: Legionnaires disease outbreak linked to Melbourne CBD
- April 2017: Pricing for cooling tower cleans
- March 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Fitting correct ball float, Noble Park
- Feb 2017: Legionella and the role of drift eliminators
- Jan 2017: Recent Jobs of Interest: Supply and build new cooling tower, Shepparton Vic
- Dec 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Routine Clean and Fill Pack Performance Clean, Hastings Vic
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin resealing and extension, Melbourne
- We are open over Christmas
- Oct 2016: Two ways to clean a cooling tower
- Nov 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Unblock water spray nozzles to stop the chiller tripping out, Shepparton
- Oct 2016: Recent Jobs of Interest: Cooling tower basin reconditioning, Campbellfield
- Call us for cooling tower repairs this summer
- Guard against mould to reduce health risks
- Coolclean achieves HACCP Certification
- Improving hospital environmental hygiene
- Sanitisation, Disinfection or Protection: Which is better?
- HVAC Systems and Mould Control
- Appointment of new Operations Manager
- The Function of Condenser Coils and Why Cleaning is Required
- Basin Painting and Fiberglassing of Cooling Towers
- The Importance of Well Maintained Drift Eliminators in Cooling Towers
- Hybrid Cooling Systems Cleaning and Maintenance
- Why Fibreflow Cooling Towers Excel in Quality
- Most Common Defects in Cooling Towers That Call for Repair
- Safety, Sustainability Benefits of Anti-Microbial Technology for Cool Room Sanitation
- Technological Evolution and Research for the Enhancement of Cooling Tower Performance
- Commercial and Industrial Cooling System – Breakdown Prevention and the Importance of Onsite Repair
- Benefits of Using Aeris Hygiene Products for Cool Room Sanitation and Cleaning
- Fan Coil Unit Maintenance
- Cooling Tower Sales and Installation Services in Victoria: Why Choose Us?
- Cooling Tower Repairs
- What are Air Handling Units?
- It’s a hot Melbourne summer – is your cooling tower working correctly?
- Coil Performance Restoration for greater Cool Room efficiency
- Due for a New Cooling Tower?
- Cooling Tower Spare Parts – in stock locally, Melbourne